In the state of North Carolina, crimes are divided into two main categories. Those categories are misdemeanors and felonies. While you will likely receive a more severe penalty if charged with a felony crime, being charged with a misdemeanor is still serious.
If you have been arrested for a crime in Asheville, North Carolina, you may feel like the entire criminal justice system is against you. However, that is not the case. When you work with an experienced Asheville criminal defense lawyer, they will work hard to provide you with the dedicated representation needed to help you pursue the second chance you deserve.
King Law is a criminal defense law firm with extensive experience helping clients who have been arrested in Asheville, North Carolina, build a strong defense. Our skilled team of criminal defense lawyers has knowledge and experience handling a wide variety of criminal defense cases and navigating the North Carolina criminal justice system. We are passionate about building trusting relationships with our clients so that we can provide the personalized services that they need. Our Asheville criminal defense lawyer may be able to help reduce the charges against you or have them dropped completely.
What Should I Do After Being Arrested in Asheville, NC?
If you have been arrested in Asheville, NC, you’ll need to take some steps to protect your rights and navigate the legal process effectively. Here are some key actions you should consider:
- Remain calm: It’s essential to stay composed and avoid any confrontations with law enforcement officers. Cooperate with their instructions but be cautious about self-incrimination and ensure your rights are respected.
- Exercise your right to remain silent: Refrain from providing any statements or admissions until you have legal representation. Anything you say can be used against you, so it’s wise to wait until you have a lawyer present.
- Seek legal representation: Contact an experienced Asheville criminal defense attorney as soon as possible. They will guide you through the legal process, protect your rights, and provide advice tailored to your situation.
- Understand your charges: Discuss the charges against you with your attorney to gain a clear understanding of the allegations, potential consequences, and available defenses. This knowledge will help you make informed decisions moving forward.
- Gather information: Take note of the details surrounding your arrest, including the time, location, officers involved, and any witnesses present. This information can be valuable for building your defense.
- Preserve evidence: If you believe there is relevant evidence that can support your case, inform your attorney immediately. This may include photographs, videos, or any other documentation that could be beneficial in proving your innocence or challenging the prosecution’s case.
- Follow legal advice: Your attorney will provide you with guidance on how to proceed, including whether to cooperate with law enforcement, attend court appearances, or negotiate a plea agreement. It’s crucial to follow their advice to protect your rights and achieve the best possible outcome.
- Maintain confidentiality: Keep the details of your case confidential and avoid discussing it with anyone other than your attorney. This helps prevent potential complications and ensures that sensitive information remains protected.
Remember, the information provided here is general guidance, and it’s crucial to consult with a qualified attorney who can provide personalized advice based on your circumstances. They will help you navigate the legal system and work towards the best possible resolution for your case.
What Are Common Criminal Defense Cases in North Carolina?
Our team of award-winning Asheville criminal defense attorneys has experience helping clients with a variety of different criminal cases. Going through the criminal justice system on your own can be overwhelming. That is why we are dedicated to helping clients with the following common criminal defense cases:
- Assault: If you have been charged with assault in North Carolina, you may be facing a misdemeanor or a felony charge depending on the specific details of your case.
- Breaking and Entering: If you have been accused of breaking and entering onto private property in Asheville, you may be facing serious penalties like probation and jail or prison time.
- Domestic Violence: This crime is taken seriously in North Carolina and may result in severe penalties depending on your criminal record, if the victim sustained extensive injuries, and other factors.
- Drug Possession and Paraphernalia: If you have been arrested for drug possession, you may be charged with a misdemeanor or a felony. However, if you were in possession of certain drugs like heroin or cocaine, you may be charged with a felony even if this is your first offense. In this case, it is crucial that you get the help of an experienced Asheville criminal defense lawyer.
- Fraud and White Collar Crimes: While white collar crimes are not inherently violent in nature, they are often still charged as a felony due to the financial institutions this type of crime impacts. These crimes include bank fraud, mail and wire fraud, embezzlement, and money laundering.
- Theft and Robbery: The type of penalty you may be sentenced for this crime may vary depending on your criminal record and if you used a deadly weapon when the crime was committed.
Whether you have been arrested for a minor misdemeanor or a serious felony, the criminal defense attorneys at King Law want to help you build a strong defense that can help you get your charges reduced or dropped.
Common Penalties for Crimes in Asheville, North Carolina
Depending on the severity of the crime you have committed, the penalty you receive may be more or less serious. Some of the common penalties for crimes in Asheville include:
- Expensive fines
- Court fees
- Jail time
- Prison time
- Permanent record
If this is your first offense, there is a chance that you may be given a more minor penalty than if you had an extensive criminal record. However, regardless of the penalties you are facing, our criminal defense lawyers in Asheville, NC may be able to help protect you and your rights throughout your case. Our experienced legal team will work to build a strong defense that may allow you to have the charges against you reduced or dropped in the best case scenario.
Contact an Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer in Asheville, NC Today
After being arrested for a crime, it may feel as if you are helpless against the criminal justice system. Handling a criminal defense case on your own can feel overwhelming. That is why it is important that you contact a criminal defense lawyer as soon as possible after being accused of a crime.
The skilled Asheville criminal defense lawyers at King Law have experience helping clients who have been arrested for a wide variety of crimes in Asheville, North Carolina. We pride ourselves on building trusting relationships with our clients that allow us to provide the top-of-the-line legal services our clients deserve. Our award-winning attorneys are dedicated to providing the representation needed to help get your charges reduced or dropped. To schedule a consultation with one of our criminal defense lawyers, call us at (888) 748-5464 or (888) 748-KING. Alternatively, you can fill out our contact form.