It’s Not Easy Being Green In Charlotte, North Carolina

It’s not easy being green in Charlotte.  While Charlotte may be a progressive city, a recent change in city recycling requirements has made recycling more of a challenge for its residents. As of December 22, 2016, the city now requires that cardboard pieces be torn or cut in to smaller pieces. Specifically, residents must now (more…)

Doing Your Own Separation Agreement in North Carolina

Separation is truly one of the most difficult times for anyone to go through. It impacts so many aspects of a person’s life. Separation does not always mean courts and judges—in fact North Carolina makes it very easy to make an agreement on all of these matters. Simply having a drafted document, notarized and signed (more…)

Procedure in South Carolina Family Court

South Carolina Family Court is not like court you see on television.  In fact, in some key aspects, it’s not even like other real courts in South Carolina.   Of course any court in South Carolina will have a judge present and the rules of civil procedure and rules of evidence will apply. However, there are (more…)

My Ex Called DSS on Me, What do I do?

There are many times when a former significant other calls the Department of Social Services on the other parent.  While the person making the report is anonymous, it can be evident of who made the report.  Unfortunately, a majority of these reports are done so in a vindictive manner.  Sometimes the report is in good (more…)


  If there is one person to bare all to, it is your attorney.  While we cannot and will not be a substitute for a therapist – part of our job is to counsel.  Your attorney cannot provide sound counsel if he or she is only getting part of the story.  All conversations you have (more…)

Navigating The Criminal Justice Process

Appearing as a defendant in criminal court can be a daunting experience for a person charged with a criminal offense.  Not only are you faced with a serious criminal charge, you are thrown into a criminal justice system that may be completely foreign to you. Your background and your particular circumstances surrounding your charge will (more…)

The Benefits and Drawbacks of Each Business Structure

There are few things more exciting than chasing down a good idea. The features start coming fast. You’re already thinking of smaller add-on ideas that will complement the product or service perfectly. This idea is going to be massive! That’s when the sheer scope of the work needed hits you. The to-do list can be (more…)

Medical Liens in Personal Injury Cases

When a medical provider has provided services related to injuries at issue in a personal injury claim, N.C. Gen. Stat. § 44-49 provides the medical provider the right to assert a lien on any recovery.  That is, the medical provider may require that some money from the settlement funds be paid to the medical provider (more…)

Pros and Cons of Termination of Parental Rights

If your child’s other parent has not been involved in your child’s life, of you are interested in adopting a child that has lived with you for a long period of time, you may be able to terminate a parent’s rights. In order to terminate a parent’s rights, among other possibilities, some of the most (more…)

What To Do If Your Loved One Passes Away and Has a Will

  If you have recently lost a loved one, the last thing you want to do is deal with their estate. At King Law Offices, we handle estate matters on a regular basis and would be glad to help you settle the estate for your loved one. When beginning an estate, the first step is (more…)