What To Do If The State Has Unclaimed Funds That Belong To You Or A Loved One

If you are faced with a situation in which the State has funds that belong to you or potentially belong to a loved one who has since passed, there is a way to reclaim to those funds.

In South Carolina millions of dollars are transferred to the State’s unclaimed funds program annually by companies that cannot locate the owners. Examples of the types of property include dormant bank accounts, stock certificates, uncashed checks (including paychecks), insurance proceeds and utility deposits. The property transferred to the Program for safekeeping is held indefinitely until the rightful owners can be located. If the State is holding property belonging to you or potentially which belonged to a loved one who has since passed, you may have the right to claim your property.

If a loved one who has since passed is discovered to have unclaimed funds, the Personal Representative for the estate can make a claim on the property. If the estate has since been closed, we can file a petition the Probate court to reopen the estate in order to ensure that your loved one’s property is distributed the way it was intended to be.

The issues of unclaimed funds and Probate court in South Carolina can be a tricky one and has serious legal consequences. You should speak with an experienced Greer, South Carolina attorney regarding these issues.

King Law Offices is a full service law firm with an outstanding team of professionals who work diligently, creatively and compassionately on behalf of our clients each day.  We serve the Upstate of South Carolina and Western North Carolina.  Call 888-748-KING (5464) today for a free consultation.